Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Getting rid of 'title' in 'file-system' declarations

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 00:12:05 +0200

Hello Guix!

These patches allow us to get rid of the infamous ‘title’ field in
‘file-system’ declarations, which has always been problematic.  It does
so by introducing a new <file-system-label> data type, such that one can
write:

               (file-system
                 (mount-point "/home")
                 (type "ext4")
                 (device (file-system-label "my-home")))

which probably looks clearer and is definitely less error prone.

The ‘title’ field is removed but some macrology takes care of
implementing backward compatibility by detecting ‘title’ fields, issuing
a deprecation warning, and adjusting the ‘device’ value according to the
‘title’.

The “installed-os” test passes.

Feedback welcome!

Ludo’.

Ludovic Courtès (2):
  file-systems: Remove 'title' field and add <file-system-label>.
  system: Remove uses of the 'title' field of <file-system>.

 doc/guix.texi                                |  68 ++++++------
 gnu/bootloader/grub.scm                      |  10 +-
 gnu/build/file-systems.scm                   |  54 +++-------
 gnu/build/linux-boot.scm                     |  12 ++-
 gnu/build/shepherd.scm                       |   3 +-
 gnu/services/base.scm                        |  17 ++-
 gnu/system.scm                               |  36 ++++---
 gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl          |   3 +-
 gnu/system/examples/beaglebone-black.tmpl    |   3 +-
 gnu/system/examples/lightweight-desktop.tmpl |   4 +-
 gnu/system/examples/vm-image.tmpl            |   3 +-
 gnu/system/file-systems.scm                  | 108 ++++++++++++++++---
 gnu/system/install.scm                       |   4 +-
 gnu/system/vm.scm                            |   7 +-
 gnu/tests.scm                                |   3 +-
 gnu/tests/install.scm                        |  26 ++---
 guix/scripts/system.scm                      |  31 +++---
 tests/guix-system.sh                         |   9 +-
 tests/system.scm                             |   6 +-
 19 files changed, 227 insertions(+), 180 deletions(-)

-- 
2.17.0