Subject: Re: [bug#31499] [PATCH 01/21] gnu: emacs-daemons: New variable.

From: Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 10:19:33 +0200

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> writes:

>> +       (uri (string-append "https://github.com/cbowdon/daemons.el/archive/"
>> +                           version ".tar.gz"))
>
> Please do not use these auto-generated tarballs from GitHub, as they are
> generated upon demand.  This means that at some point in the future the
> hash may change.

OK, but I have a few question:

- Why would the hash change?  If the version tag is not changed (and
it's not meant to) the archive remains the same, doesn't it?  Besides
many Emacs packages use the "/archive" URLs, such as
`emacs-emms-player-mpv`.

- Do you know the difference between "/archive and "/releases/download"?
For instance, Magit uses "https://github.com/magit/magit/releases/download/".

That said, I have no issue with using git-fetch instead.  I'll submit a
patch just now.

--
Pierre Neidhardt