Subject: bug#31496: 26.1; support "**" globbing in filename completion

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 09:35:04 -0600

Bash has a "**" globbing feature (you have to set "globstar" to get
this) for recursive globbing.  "**" will recursively match
subdirectories.

This would be handy for filename completion in Emacs.
Then finding a file somewhere in some subdirectory would be as easy as

C-x C-f **/filename TAB

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.26)
 of 2018-05-11 built on pokyo
Repository revision: c9c0e40d673a5fc0d24d30ff67ccb7c7f2fb482a
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11906000
System Description:	Fedora release 27 (Twenty Seven)

Recent messages:
Auto-saving...done
Mark set [2 times]
Mark popped
Mark set
Sending...
Mark set [2 times]
Sending via mail...
Sending email 
Sending email done
Sending...done

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/home/tromey/Emacs/install --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  ggtags-mode: t
  ggtags-navigation-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-spelling-mode: t
  erc-truncate-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-notify-mode: t
  erc-notifications-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-services-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-hl-nicks-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  flycheck-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/tromey/.emacs.d/elpa/bubbles-0.5/bubbles hides /home/tromey/Emacs/install/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/play/bubbles

Features:
(cl-print completion shadow emacsbug python tramp-sh js sgml-mode gud
mailalias bbdb-sc supercite regi mail-hist iso-transl eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe pulse compare-w org-rmail org-mhe org-irc
org-info org-gnus nnir org-docview doc-view image-mode org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-w3m org-element avl-tree generator org org-macro
org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline
outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob
ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs novice eww webjump url-http url-auth url-gw log-view
pcvs-util wgrep find-dired grep tcl pcmpl-unix shr-color smerge-mode
term/xterm xterm goto-addr find-file dabbrev copyright idutils pcase
add-log ggtags etags xref project compile bug-reference whitespace
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds shr svg dom jka-compr
gnus-html url-queue help-fns radix-tree browse-url url-cache mm-url url
url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf bbdb-gui bbdb-hooks bbdb-rmail rmailsum sort smiley gnus-cite
flow-fill mm-archive gnus-bcklg erc-list erc-menu erc-join erc-ring
erc-pcomplete erc-netsplit erc-spelling erc-truncate qp gnus-async
gnus-ml disp-table misearch multi-isearch vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git diff-mode
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs gnus-topic nndraft nnmh
nnfolder utf-7 bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf mail-extr bbdb-com network-stream
nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache gnus-registry registry eieio-base gnus-art
mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo smtpmail sendmail gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range
message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr elec-pair flyspell ispell diminish appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
parse-time which-func imenu autorevert filenotify desktop frameset
cus-start cus-load git-link url-util erc-track erc-notify
erc-desktop-notifications erc-match erc-services erc-networks
notifications dbus xml erc-hl-nicks easy-mmode color erc-button erc-fill
erc-stamp wid-edit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat format-spec
thingatpt pp dired-aux dired-x dired dired-loaddefs warnings advice
vc-dir ewoc vc vc-dispatcher flycheck cl-extra json map find-func
help-mode rx subr-x dash cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
bbdb cl timezone ange-ftp comint ansi-color ring server savehist
finder-inf bbdb-autoloads lisppaste-autoloads pydoc-info-autoloads
info-look info package easymenu epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2800184 303048)
 (symbols 48 121031 6)
 (miscs 40 37588 11211)
 (strings 32 469669 57207)
 (string-bytes 1 12187759)
 (vectors 16 162560)
 (vector-slots 8 3063660 200418)
 (floats 8 602 709)
 (intervals 56 264325 7696)
 (buffers 992 263))