Subject: bug#31489: closed (Re: bug#31489: 25.3; Dired unable to open directory "/ssh:example.com")

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 16:38:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31489: 25.3; Dired unable to open directory "/ssh:example.com"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31489: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31489
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31489: 25.3; Dired unable to open directory "/ssh:example.com"
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Christoph Michelbach <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2018 18:37:35 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 27.1

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Christoph,

> Finally, I've pushed a patch to Emacs' master branch which should solve
> your problem. Add the following line to your .emacs:
>
> (setq tramp-ignored-file-name-regexp "\\`/ssh:example\\.com:")
>
> That's it. Tramp's documentation tells something about.

Additionally, I have enhanced `file-name-non-special' to work proper for
files in a directory like "/:/ssh:example.com:/". This is independent
from the Tramp configuration shown above.

If you have a chance to build Emacs from git, you could test it.

I'm closing the bug.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 25.3; Dired unable to open directory "/ssh:example.com"
From: Christoph Michelbach <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 13:41:59 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

If you can't reproduce the problem with the version of Emacs you're running
right away, please read till the end of this email.

When a file's path conflicts with how an external resource is addressed, you can
tell Emacs to open the local path by preceding it with "/:". If you created a
file with

sudo touch "/ssh:example.com/file"

, you could access it via:

C-x C-f /:/ssh:example.com/file RET

However, if you leave "file" out, you don't get to see a dired buffer after
hitting return. Instead, the current windows are retained and the mini buffer
reads:

Host name must not match method "ssh"

The *Messages* buffer says:

tramp-file-name-handler: Host name must not match method "ssh"

You also cannot first navigate to "/" and then enter the directory by moving
point to it and hitting return. The same problem accompanied by the same error
message occurs.

If you use the development version of Emacs, the problem only occurs if the
directory's name ends in a colon. So if you're using the development version,
run

sudo mkdir "/ssh:exaple.com:"

instead to create a folder you can't access via dired. Again, the problem occurs
both when entering its path preceded by "/:" and when hitting return on the
dired buffer of "/".

I used the latest version on the master branch of the mirror on GitHub
(60ff8101449eea3a5ca4961299501efd83d011bd) to confirm that the problem still
exists.