Subject: Re: bug#31489: 25.3; Dired unable to open directory "/ssh:example.com"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 16:46:59 +0200

Christoph Michelbach <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Christoph,

> Can't the problems be avoided by establishing that paths to tramp paths can't
> start with two slashes?
>
> To paths on Unix-like systems, you can add more slashes. So with that rule in
> place, the user could simply start weird paths with two slashes and dired could
> be changed to just add another slash to the beginning of the path if the file
> the user hit enter on is in "/".
>
> The path "/ssh:example.com:" would be passed to other functions as
> "//ssh:example.com:". When Emacs asks the OS to access "//ssh:example.com:",
> it's just the same as if it asked it to access "/ssh:example.com:".

This is changed by `substitute-in-file-name':

(substitute-in-file-name "//ssh:example.com:") => "/ssh:example.com:"

See the docstring of `substitute-in-file-name', and
(info "(emacs) Minibuffer File")

Don't worry, I'm just working on a solution for you.

Best regards, Michael.