Subject: Re: [bug#31487] [PATCH] gnu: Add upx.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 15:27:19 +0200

Pierre Neidhardt <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The relevant issues:
>
> - https://github.com/upx/upx/issues/146
> - https://github.com/upx/upx/pull/190

Hmm I see that:

  https://github.com/upx/upx/issues/128
  corresponds to:
  https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE%2D%32%30%31%37%2D%31%35%30%35%36

and:

  https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail?vulnId=CVE%2D%32%30%31%37%2D%31%36%38%36%39
  corresponds to:
  https://github.com/upx/upx/issues/146

The latter (CVE-2017-16869) is marked as “disputed” above, and I would
agree with the arguments of the UPX maintainers.

The authors did not react to the former (CVE-2017-15056, crash when
reading ELF files), other than by fixing it, but it does look similar in
spirit.

What about adding a patch for CVE-2017-15056 since it would at least fix
a concrete bug?

CVE-2017-16869 is also a bug but it concerns Mach-O files, which are
much less of a concern for our users I suppose.  Patching it wouldn’t
hurt either, but you could also add a ‘lint-hidden-cve’ property for
CVE-2017-16869 with a comment.

TIA,
Ludo’.