Subject: Re: [bug#31484] [PATCH] gnu: icu4c: Patch zoneinfo directory.

From: Christopher Baines <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 19:18:30 +0100

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Christopher Baines <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Replace the hardcoded /usr/share/zoneinfo file with a reference to the tzdata
>> package.
>>
>> * gnu/packages/icu4c.scm (icu4c)[inputs]: Add tzdata.
>> [arguments]: Add a patch-zoneinfo-directory phase.
>
> Good catch.
>
> I wonder if icu4c should instead depend on ‘tzdata-for-tests’, which is
> changed less frequently to avoid full rebuilds?  Maybe Leo can comment.
>
> I hope icu4c also honors the TZDIR environment variable, which would
> allow users to have it refer to the latest version.  Do you know if
> that’s the case?

All I remember about this was that I don't think it fixed the problem I
was trying to solve :) I had the patch in a stash for a while before
submitting it.

I don't even know what icu4c actually does, so I'm not very well placed
to look at this further, but I'm glad you and Leo seem to be getting
something from it :)