Subject: bug#31456: closed (Re: bug#31456: guix size tries to fetch substitute information for installed package.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 13:30:03 +0000

Your bug report

#31456: guix size tries to fetch substitute information for installed package.

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31456: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31456
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31456: guix size tries to fetch substitute information for installed package.
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Martin Castillo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 15:29:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello Martin,

Martin Castillo <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Exactly.  So I don’t think it’s a bug per se, just that no substitutes
>> were unavailable when you checked.
>
> The documentation gives me the impression that it should work without
> substitutes, when I have the package installed.

Right, it will work out-of-the-box if you have the ungrafted version in
the store.

> I think guix size should automatically search for the grafted version,
> unless there is a technical reason/another use-case for guix size that
> I'm not aware of, for which it makes more sense to use the ungrafted
> version.

‘guix size’ resorts to substitutes if it can’t find what it’s looking
for locally.

It explicitly search for the ungrafted version because substitute
servers only have the ungrafted version, and because computing the
derivation of the grafted version may require building the ungrafted on.

> If that's the case, maybe say that in the documentation?

Agreed, done in 2fd345cdfdd45dd48c9392a26793e442d680968b.

Thank you!

Ludo’.

Subject: guix size tries to fetch substitute information for installed package.
From: Martin Castillo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 22:10:07 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm on guix 563ab27bd4caead5676bbd515c54b25100c98960 on guixsd.
$ guix package -I; contains
lilypond	2.19.80	out
/gnu/store/jhmz7wpb93hryzqq32kcb4fs9cd84jyi-lilypond-2.19.80
I installed lilypond with that guix version.

$ guix size lilypond; gives me
guix size: error: no available substitute information for
'/gnu/store/6zyrglcmk8l4xpwvg6hgq1al81d7fr1w-lilypond-2.19.80'

I have no idea how this happens.
A wild guess is that store/jhmz.. is a grafted version, and guix size
looks for the ungrafted one?

Martin
-- 
GPG: 7FDE 7190 2F73 2C50 236E  403D CC13 48F1 E644 08EC