Subject: bug#31456: guix size tries to fetch substitute information for installed package.

From: Martin Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 12:19:12 +0200

> Exactly.  So I don’t think it’s a bug per se, just that no substitutes
> were unavailable when you checked.

The documentation gives me the impression that it should work without
substitutes, when I have the package installed.

> 
> I think we can close the bug, WDYT?

I think guix size should automatically search for the grafted version,
unless there is a technical reason/another use-case for guix size that
I'm not aware of, for which it makes more sense to use the ungrafted
version.

If that's the case, maybe say that in the documentation?

-- 
GPG: 7FDE 7190 2F73 2C50 236E  403D CC13 48F1 E644 08EC
From 337bf474edc91c09bf172091ed2c6ec4cb6e5f94 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Martin Castillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 12:14:18 +0200
Subject: [PATCH] doc: Add note to guix size

* doc/guix.texi (Invoking guix size): Note that guix size ignores
  grafted packages in the store.
---
 doc/guix.texi | 3 ++-
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/doc/guix.texi b/doc/guix.texi
index a771ab7ae..72768b8cc 100644
--- a/doc/guix.texi
+++ b/doc/guix.texi
@@ -6945,7 +6945,8 @@ When the package passed to @command{guix size} is available in the
 store, @command{guix size} queries the daemon to determine its
 dependencies, and measures its size in the store, similar to @command{du
 -ms --apparent-size} (@pxref{du invocation,,, coreutils, GNU
-Coreutils}).
+Coreutils}).  Note that @command{guix size} only looks for the
+ungrafted package.
 
 When the given package is @emph{not} in the store, @command{guix size}
 reports information based on the available substitutes
-- 
2.17.0