Subject: emacs 25.3; timezone handling broken

From: e step <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 10:36:06 -0400

1. I installed emacs 25.3_1 for Windows
  2. From cygwin shell, I did "/c/emacs25/emacs-25.3_1-x86_64/bin/emacs.exe
-Q"
  3. Within emacs, I did M-: (getenv "TZ") which returned "America/New
York".
  4. Within emacs, I did M-: (current-time-string)
  5. The resulting time is using incorrect time zone.
  6. Inside cygwin, I did "export TZ=" to unset the TZ variable.
  7. Within emacs, I did M-: (getenv "TZ") which returned nil.
  8. Within emacs, I did M-: (current-time-string) to get correct time.

My work around is to not set the TZ variable which is doable but not
desirable.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2017-09-26 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.17134
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2
 -static -g3' PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/mingw64/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
"America/New_York"
Quit
"Mon May 14 15:28:21 2018"

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 88765 5870)
 (symbols 56 19651 0)
 (miscs 48 44 85)
 (strings 32 15897 4470)
 (string-bytes 1 440523)
 (vectors 16 11730)
 (vector-slots 8 424140 5367)
 (floats 8 159 44)
 (intervals 56 236 56)
 (buffers 976 19))