Subject: Re: bug#3145: 23.0.92; detaching GTK+ tool bar crashes emacs --daemon

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2009 16:25:56 -0400

Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I don't mind disabling detaching if it is OK in the current code
>> freeze.

I'd rather not.

> IMHO detaching the toolbar is a red herring here.  The ticking time
> bomb is actually using an emacs compiled with the Gtk+ support in
> conjunction with multi-tty.  emacsclient + kill emacsclient +
> emacsclient results in a crash.
>
> IMO we need at least a big fat warning in NEWS (or some other very
> prominent place) with a reference to the Gtk+ bug to make users aware
> of the problem.  We've had many bug reports about this, we'll only get
> more after the release.

We have an entry in PROBLEMS, which may need to be updated.  I have no
objection to adding a warning to NEWS as well.  Could someone try to
summarize, as well as you can, the circumstances that are likely to lead
to lead to a crash?