Subject: Re: bug#3145: 23.0.92; detaching GTK+ tool bar crashes emacs --daemon

From: Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 11:24:57 -0700 (PDT)

Jan Djärv <[email-masked]> writes:

  > Stephen Berman skrev:
  > 
  > >
  > > As long as this does not change in GTK+ and no workaround is possible in
  > > Emacs, I (sadly) think you should seriously consider disabling detaching
  > > the tool bar in the GTK+ build.  When used in conjunction with --daemon
  > > it is a ticking time bomb for data loss because of the crash it causes.
  > > I don't make this suggestion lightly, since detaching the tool bar is to
  > > me an acceptable workaround for the very annoying shrinking frame bug
  > > (see bug#3195), but precluding a crash and possible data loss should
  > > probably take precedence over avoiding annoyance.
  > >
  > 
  > I don't mind disabling detaching if it is OK in the current code freeze.

IMHO detaching the toolbar is a red herring here.

Yes, there on big valid reason to disable detaching the toolbar: it
seems that detaching the toolbar is disabled by default by (almost?) all
Gtk+ applications.

The ticking time bomb is actually using an emacs compiled with the Gtk+
support in conjunction with multi-tty.  emacsclient + kill emacsclient +
emacsclient results in a crash.

IMO we need at least a big fat warning in NEWS (or some other very prominent
place) with a reference to the Gtk+ bug to make users aware of the
problem.  We've had many bug reports about this, we'll only get more
after the release.