Subject: bug#31446: closed (sql-interactive-mode buffer naming is broken)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 01:14:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31446: 26.1; sql-interactive-mode buffer naming is broken

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31446: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31446
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: sql-interactive-mode buffer naming is broken
From: Michael Mauger <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 01:13:39 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Based on a previous commit and this commit, buffer naming should be more consistent and correct.
Added tests to insure I don't mess them up again!

--
[email-masked] // FSF and EFF member // GNU Emacs sql.el maintainer

Subject: 26.1; sql-interactive-mode buffer naming is broken
From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 17:54:52 +1200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Depending on whether/how many C-u prefix arguments I supply to
sql-postgres, the resulting buffer name is bad.

M-x sql-postgres: "*SQL: *"
C-u M-x sql-postgres: "*SQL: ^D*"
C-u C-u M-x sql-postgres: "*SQL: ^P*"

I've converted them for the bug report, but the ^D and ^P are actual
control characters, which I observe are characters 4 and 16
respectively, and therefore are a match for the numeric value of the
supplied prefix argument.  This is surely not what was intended.

In 25.3 the buffer name would be "*SQL*" with no prefix argument, and if
if a prefix argument was given I would be prompted for the buffer name,
with "*SQL: <user>@<database>*" as the default suggestion.

-Phil

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll 
bars)
  of 2018-04-11 built on mts-devtools
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

Recent messages:
funcall-interactively: End of buffer [3 times]
Login...done
funcall-interactively: End of buffer
Entering debugger...
Continuing.
custom-initialize-reset: Symbol’s value as variable is void: buffer-name
"*SQL: *"
kill-region: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Messages*>
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
user-error: No dynamic expansion for ‘sql-int’ found

Configured using:
  'configure --prefix=/usr/local/src/emacs/26.1/usr/local
  --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-sound'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr dabbrev emacsbug message rmc puny seq dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived
epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode
cl-print byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv debug sql easymenu view
thingatpt comint ansi-color ring cl-loaddefs cl-lib elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 108297 11486)
  (symbols 48 21234 1)
  (miscs 40 119 276)
  (strings 32 31999 1264)
  (string-bytes 1 893910)
  (vectors 16 15325)
  (vector-slots 8 506954 12212)
  (floats 8 63 171)
  (intervals 56 329 0)
  (buffers 992 16)
  (heap 1024 45845 3308))