Subject: Re: bug#31441: 26; doc of functions `(lax-)plist-get'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 16:43:37 +0200

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> The doc in (elisp) `Plist Access' is mostly OK, but it could
> be improved.  The doc strings of these two functions are not OK.
>
> The doc strings need to point out, as does the manual, that `plist-get'
> uses `eq' and `lax-plist-get' uses `equal'.  In addition, the doc string
> of `lax-plist-get' should, like the manual, say that it is in all other
> respects just like `plist-get' (providing a link to that function's
> description).

I've now done these things, except that (weirdly enough) lax-plist-get
is not like plist-get in all other respects -- plist-get will never
signal an error, while lax-plist-get may signal an error if PLIST isn't
a valid plist.  *sigh*

> In addition the manual description of `plist-get' could be improved by
> mentioning these two things, which are mentioned by its doc string:
>
> 1. It uses `eq'.  (If one reads further then this becomes apparent when
>    reading about `lax-plist-get'.

The manual says (right above plist-get):

They all compare property names using @code{eq}.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no