Subject: 26.1; parse-partial-sexp moves point

From: Andreas Röhler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 09:19:57 +0200

Eval in scratch-buffer

(parse-partial-sexp 1 3)

cursor moves to pos 3.

Didn't expect that function moving point. Don't see that documented.
Should a save-excursion be around?

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
  of 2018-04-10 built on asdf
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.10 (jessie)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set [2 times]
(0 nil nil nil t nil 0 nil 1 nil nil)
Mark activated
Mark set
(0 nil nil nil t nil 0 nil 1 nil nil)
Configured using:
  'configure --with-modules'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
MODULES THREADS

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: de_DE.utf8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils elec-pair time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 184245 12654)
  (symbols 24 42696 1)
  (miscs 20 44 243)
  (strings 16 72383 2272)
  (string-bytes 1 1158691)
  (vectors 12 14312)
  (vector-slots 4 535409 18090)
  (floats 8 50 271)
  (intervals 28 267 69)
  (buffers 536 11)
  (heap 1024 14579 1054))