Subject: Re: [bug#31436] [PATCH 0/6] gnu: Add opencl related packages.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 14:51:39 +0200

Hello,

Fis Trivial <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I don't think any usable OpenCL implementation in guix can be done in
> recent future. OpenCL is kind of deeply integrated with clang and
> llvm. One of the problem of this integration is that ld is not invoked
> with correct search path. And usually the link procedure is implemented
> by calling llvm APIs since ld doesn't know how to link device binary
> objects. Which means if we want to solve this problem we will have to
> figure out how does llvm do linking and add the corresponding patches to
> make a specialized llvm. If I were to do it, I would rather try to get
> ld and gcc support basic OpenCL linking, the needed effort is not that
> different.

In a similar vein, you might want to check
‘clang-3.5-libc-search-path.patch’.  Maybe it doesn’t help for
pocl/beignet because it’s a patch against Clang, not LLVM.

We’ll need to investigate more precisely how pocl/beignet invoke the
linker, as discussed on help-guix.

Ludo’.