Subject: Re: [bug#31416] [PATCH 3/4] bootloader: Add make-u-boot-bootloader.

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 18:29:53 +0200

Ji Ludo,

> Or do you think enumerating the SoCs would still be too painful?  

No, I think that would be a good idea.

I'm not 100% sure that the SOC's ROM loads the bootloader always in the same
way - but all SOCs I have ever seen so far do that (it also makes sense -
the factory probably has chip test rigs and they don't want to
update those every time a new chip revision comes out).

(sometimes this can even be generalized to the vendor instead of the soc,
though not always)

If it does happen that there's a config resistor or something, we can cross
that bridge when we come to it.

So yeah, let's have a table of installers, using the soc as a key (for now?).

Still to do: bikeshedding the name :)

What about

(define-record <installer>
   soc installation-procedure
...)

(I think <soc> as record name would be weird, no?)

Or just a hash table soc -> installation-procedure ?

How does the instantiation of the table data look?  Just toplevel statements?  I've caused problems with those before :)

Where do we put it? gnu/bootloader/u-boot.scm ?