Subject: Re: [bug#31416] [PATCH 3/4] bootloader: Add make-u-boot-bootloader.

From: Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 13:03:43 +0200

Hi Ludo,

>   (define-record-type <board>
>     (board name triplet installer)
>     …)
> 
> Thoughts?

The idea of make-u-boot-bootloader (and os-with-u-boot) was that it would free
us from having to play whack-a-mole regarding u-boot (except for the
installation methods of which there are much fewer than boards or chip models)
and also free the user from having to know anything but the board name.

With your idea it would mean that we'd have to carry a huge list of <board>s,
defining the board and architecture and installer, right? (or I guess the
user would have to create it on-the-fly)

That's exactly what I was trying to avoid :)

I know my method isn't perfect either - I should have said "WIP" - but the idea
is that the user would just use os-with-u-boot and specify his board name - and the
rest is magically being worked out (for all boards in u-boot).

I'm trying to keep to information that is available within u-boot (like .config)
so we don't have to maintain the stuff ourselves.  The installer was supposed
to read out the u-boot parts and infer the correct incantations to use by itself.

To infer the triplet, we can search for "CONFIG_ARM64=y".

The SOC should be fine to infer as in this patch.

No chance inferring the actual installation commands, though.  Too bad...

They've got all kinds of funny config entries like

  CONFIG_SPL_FIT_GENERATOR="board/sunxi/mksunxi_fit_atf.sh"

but I don't see the installation commands / info... hrmmmm...