Subject: [bug#31416] [PATCH 1/4] system: Add os-with-u-boot.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 11:24:30 +0200

Hello!

Great that you’re streamlining GuixSD on ARM!

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/system/install.scm (os-with-u-boot): New procedure.
> * gnu/packages/bootloaders.scm (make-u-boot-package): Export.
> * doc/guix.texi (Building the Installation Image for ARM boards): New
> subsection.

[...]

> +@subsection Building the Installation Image for ARM boards

“Boards”

> +Many ARM boards require a board-specific bootloader in order to boot.

Maybe: “require a specific variant of the
@uref{http://www.denx.de/wiki/U-Boot/, U-Boot} bootloader.”

> +If you build an entire disk image and the is not still available otherwise
> +(on another available drive etc), it's advisable to build an image that
> +includes the bootloader, specifically:
> +
> +@example
> +guix system disk-image --system=armhf-linux -e '((@ (gnu system install) os-with-u-boot) (@ (gnu system install) installation-os) "A20-OLinuXino-Lime2")'
> +@end example

Note: In Texinfo you need to double all the at signs.

> +Or if you don't cross compile:

It’s not cross-compilation.  :-)

But I don’t think you need to repeat the command line.

> +"A20-OLinuXino-Lime2" is the name of the board.  If you specify an invalid
   ^
@code

> +board, you get a list.

I think the patch is otherwise OK.

Ludo’.