Subject: bug#31413: 25.3; Semantic with Python: semantic-idle-summary-mode not print summary when cursor in parentheses

From: [email-masked] (Sébastien Gendre)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 20:07:47 +0200

After enabled Semantic (M-x semantic) and 'semantic-idle-summary-mode'
(M-x semantic-idle-summary-mode), I get summary of function only when
the cursor (point) are on a function name. When I wrote the open
parentheses to write call arguments of this function, I get no more
summary.

How to reproduce:
- Start emacs ('emacs -q') and open a Python file
- Enable Semantic (M-x semantic) and 'semantic-idle-summary-mode'
(M-x semantic-idle-summary-mode)
- Define a Python function with arguments (ex: test(var1, var2))
- Write a call to this function.
- When the cursor are on the function name, you get the summary
- When the cursor are between the parentheses, you get nothing

Emacs informations:
In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.26)
 of 2018-01-12 built on buildhw-08.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11906000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Org

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  nyan-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  org-bullets-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Sending email done
Sending...done
Saving file /home/sebastien/Org/Emacs.org...
Wrote /home/sebastien/Org/Emacs.org
Undo!
Priority of current item set to B
Priority of current item set to C
Priority of current item set to B
Priority of current item set to A
Priority removed

Load-path shadows:
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/htmlize-20161211.1019/htmlize hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/goodies/htmlize
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-20170615.1216/markdown-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/goodies/markdown-mode
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/rpm-spec-mode-20160710.436/rpm-spec-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rpm-spec-mode/rpm-spec-mode
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-pcomplete hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-ocaml hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-publish hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-eval hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-ctags hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-ruby hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-picolisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-eshell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-version hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-version
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-sass hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-calc hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-info hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-info
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-md hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-matlab hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-feed hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-maxima hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-beamer hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-octave hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-clojure hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-makefile hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-io hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-table hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-table
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-plantuml hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-entities hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-core hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-macs hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-tangle hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-comint hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-id
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-docview hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-colview hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-python hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-asymptote hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-mscgen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-element hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-element
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-plot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-faces hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-bibtex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-datetree hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-crypt hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-src
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-shen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-agenda hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-list hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-list
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-footnote hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-html hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-perl hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-table hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-lilypond hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-attach hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-sqlite hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-fortran hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-ledger hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-texinfo hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-timer hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-odt hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-mobile hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-macro hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-protocol hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-inlinetask hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-habit hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-man hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ox-ascii hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-install hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-install
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-ditaa hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-clock hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/ob-scheme hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/org-capture hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-capture
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/spam-stat hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/gnus/spam-stat
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnir hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/gnus/nnir
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnnil hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/gnus/nnnil
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/let-alist-1.0.5/let-alist hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist
/home/sebastien/.emacs.d/elpa/seq-2.20/seq hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/emacs-lisp/seq

Features:
(shadow emacsbug vc-git diff-mode image-file jedi jedi-core
python-environment epc ctable concurrent deferred
python-el-fgallina-expansions python tramp-sh docker-tramp tramp-cache
vagrant-tramp tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize
org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview doc-view
jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m epa-file epa
derived network-stream nsm starttls tls gnutls mailalias qp sort
mail-extr server flycheck json map flymake rainbow-delimiters
web-mode-expansions web-mode expand-region text-mode-expansions
the-org-mode-expansions er-basic-expansions expand-region-core
expand-region-custom winner windmove exec-path-from-shell esh-var esh-io
esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups eshell esh-module
esh-mode esh-util nyan-mode elfeed-org bbdb-message bbdb bbdb-site
timezone virtualenvwrapper gud smtpmail sendmail projectile grep compile
ibuf-ext ibuffer multiple-cursors mc-hide-unmatched-lines-mode
mc-separate-operations rectangular-region-mode mc-mark-pop mc-mark-more
thingatpt mc-cycle-cursors mc-edit-lines multiple-cursors-core rect gnus
gnus-ems nnheader auto-complete edmacro kmacro popup ob-sh shell
ob-python ob-octave ob-js ob-awk elfeed-link org-element elfeed-show
elfeed-search bookmark pp message idna dired rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader shr dom subr-x
elfeed-csv elfeed elfeed-curl url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf mailcap elfeed-log
elfeed-db elfeed-lib url-util avl-tree url-queue browse-url url-parse
auth-source gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache
url-vars xml-query org advice org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint comint ansi-color ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
org-bullets yasnippet elec-pair iso-transl time-date
challenger-deep-theme paren ido cus-start cus-load all-the-icons
all-the-icons-faces data-material data-weathericons data-octicons
data-fileicons data-faicons data-alltheicons memoize font-lock+
finder-inf dakrone-theme-autoloads flylisp-autoloads gh-common marshal
eieio-compat cl-seq eieio eieio-core term-alert alert log4e rx
notifications dbus gntp term-cmd f s dash term disp-table ehelp ring
info package epg-config seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode cconv preview-latex emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode
color-theme easymenu wid-edit cl clang-format cl-macs gv xml cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib auto-loads tex-site mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 561246 55834)
 (symbols 48 50470 1022)
 (miscs 40 322 354)
 (strings 32 133053 23063)
 (string-bytes 1 4043279)
 (vectors 16 81265)
 (vector-slots 8 1989117 91923)
 (floats 8 1558 1068)
 (intervals 56 3552 1562)
 (buffers 976 30))