Subject: bug#31411: 25.3; Semantic with Python: No completion for imported modules, class methodes, etc

From: [email-masked] (Sébastien Gendre)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 19:41:24 +0200

With Python source code, Semantic doesn't provide completion for
imported modules, class methodes and properties or anything after a '.'.

I try to write 'datetime.date' after importing 'datetime'. But after
write 'datetime.' and pressing TAB I get 'Error in post-command-hook
(completion-in-region--postch): (error "Nothing to complete")' and
'Nothing to complete' in the mini-buffer. Same thing when I try to
complete a class preperty of a class I wrote on my Python buffer. :(

Tested with 'emacs -q'.

How te reproduce:
- Start Emacs 15.3 with: emacs -q
- Open a Python file
- Start semantic (M-x semantic)
- Import something in your python code, like 'datetime'
- Write 'datetime.' and call 'completion-at-point'
- You get 'Nothing to complete' in the mini-buffer

Emacs informations:
In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.26)
 of 2018-01-12 built on buildhw-08.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11906000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
  global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
  semantic-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  completion-in-region-mode: t

Recent messages:
Making completion list...
Complete, but not unique
Error in post-command-hook (completion-in-region--postch): (error "Nothing to complete")
Sole completion [2 times]
Error in post-command-hook (completion-in-region--postch): (error "Nothing to complete")
Sole completion [3 times]
Error in post-command-hook (completion-in-region--postch): (error "Nothing to complete")
semantic-analyze-possible-completions: Nothing to complete [2 times]
Auto-saving...
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/spam-stat hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/gnus/spam-stat
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnir hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/gnus/nnir
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnnil hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/gnus/nnnil

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired rfc822 mml mml-sec
epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils semantic/analyze/complete semantic/db-typecache
semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope semantic/analyze/fcn
semantic/edit semantic/tag-file cus-start cus-load semantic/db-file
data-debug cedet-files semantic/wisent/python semantic/decorate/include
semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref semantic/decorate/mode
semantic/decorate pulse compile tramp-cache semantic/dep
semantic/wisent/python-wy semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent rx
semantic/db-mode semantic/db eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format
ezimage semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
find-func cedet vc-git diff-mode python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell
pcomplete format-spec advice json map seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra help-mode cconv comint ring ansi-color preview-latex
emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode color-theme easymenu wid-edit cl
clang-format cl-macs gv xml cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib auto-loads tex-site
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 270440 11224)
 (symbols 48 28939 0)
 (miscs 40 128 186)
 (strings 32 39653 9048)
 (string-bytes 1 1335065)
 (vectors 16 43791)
 (vector-slots 8 805601 3667)
 (floats 8 465 603)
 (intervals 56 441 0)
 (buffers 976 22))