Subject: Re: bug#31409: 25.3; Python.el: getting function signature with eldoc is not automatic

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 22:18:53 -0400

[email-masked] (Sébastien Gendre) writes:

> In python-mode, to get a Python function signature in minibuffer, an
> user need to:
> - Start the Python shell (M-x run-python)

You can use C-c C-p.

> - Enable eldoc (M-x eldoc-mode)

This step is no longer needed, global-eldoc-mode is on by default.

> - Send function definition or import to the shell (C-M-x or M-x
> python-shell-send-defun)
>
> It's too much steps and less efficient than what we have for Emacs
> Lisp. :(

The last step (loading function) is needed for Emacs Lisp too.  So I
guess just auto-starting Python shell would be needed.

> It would be so nice if this can be automaticaly done. Just move the
> point on a symbole and Emacs show you its signature directly.
>
> PS: I would be okay to work on this.