Subject: bug#31407: 25.3; No manual for python.el

From: [email-masked] (Sébastien Gendre)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 18:17:39 +0200

At this moment, their is no manual for python.el. 'describe-mode'
provide some usefull informations, but they're incomplete. It miss parts
that talk about PDB, eldoc (and the need to evaluate python code to use
it), etc.

It would be very helpful to have a python.el manual en Emacs.

Emacs informations:
In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.26)
 of 2018-01-12 built on buildhw-08.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11906000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-annobin-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: fr_CH.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Python

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
In a buffer with python-mode, after run"
Eldoc mode enabled in current buffer
Making completion list...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
Auto-saving...done
uncompressing eldoc.el.gz...done
Note: file is write protected
funcall-interactively: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer eldoc.el.gz>
Quit

Quit

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/spam-stat hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/gnus/spam-stat
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnir hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/gnus/nnir
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnnil hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/gnus/nnnil

Features:
(misearch multi-isearch jka-compr thingatpt ispell pp shadow sort
mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired rfc822 mml mml-sec epg epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils eieio-opt
speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func info-look info thai-util
thai-word vc-git diff-mode python tramp-sh tramp tramp-compat
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell
pcomplete format-spec advice json map seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra help-mode cconv comint ring ansi-color preview-latex
emacs-goodies-loaddefs easy-mmode color-theme easymenu wid-edit cl
clang-format cl-macs gv xml cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib auto-loads tex-site
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 329868 21227)
 (symbols 48 37109 0)
 (miscs 40 832 369)
 (strings 32 47308 8926)
 (string-bytes 1 1356554)
 (vectors 16 44581)
 (vector-slots 8 1015343 32274)
 (floats 8 256 582)
 (intervals 56 812 0)
 (buffers 976 24))