Subject: bug#31386: closed (Add tensorflow.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2019 16:17:03 +0000

Your bug report

#31386: TensorFlow

which was filed against the guix-patches package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31386: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31386
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Add tensorflow.
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 17:16:33 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Guix,

the following series of patches supersedes #31386.  The first two
patches are for “tensorflow-core”, which is pretty useless.  Everything
after that is for the “tensorflow” package, which provides the Python
interface people commonly use.

The package is horrible, so let’s try to fix this together.  I’ve cut a
few corners, so I don’t want to add this to Guix as is.  We should try
to reduce the amount of bundled third-party code.

I haven’t been able to test this, because I’ve hit an unrelated bug (the
dreaded miscompilation of the info-dir derivation).

--
Ricardo

Subject: TensorFlow
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 16:54:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This patch series adds a package for TensorFlow (without GPU support).
I don’t know how useful this is because it just provides a single 180+MB
statically linked archive (and header files).  It is only the “core”
part of TensorFlow.

The problem here is that the build system is Bazel, which cannot easily
be built from source.  Bazel bundles 60+ third-party Java packages, some
of which are very complex and are very difficult to package.  TensorFlow
comes with an unsupported Makefile that builds a single statically
linked library of only the core parts.  That’s what this package
provides.

Note that TensorFlow 1.8 has been released a few days ago.  This package
only adds version 1.7.

--
Ricardo