Subject: [bug#31386] [PATCH 3/3] gnu: Add tensorflow-core.

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 10:34:16 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> * gnu/packages/machine-learning.scm (tensorflow-core): New variable.
>
> [...]
>
>> +       #:make-flags
>> +       (list "-f" "tensorflow/contrib/makefile/Makefile"
>> +             "CC=gcc")
>
> Perhaps we should add a comment on why not Bazel.
>
>> +    (native-inputs
>> +     `(("protobuf" ,protobuf)           ; protoc
>> +       ;; "You may use, copy, modify this code for any purpose and without
>> +       ;; fee. You may distribute this ORIGINAL package."
>> +       ("fft2d"
>
> Doesn’t that make fft2d non-free, if we cannot redistribute modified copies?

I really don’t understand the second sentence.  The first sentence says
that “this code” may be copied and modified “for any purpose”.  The
second sentence doesn’t seem to add anything, but that depends on how
you read it.

   You may *only* distribute this [source archive].
   You may *also* distribute this [unmodified package].

I wrote an email to the author’s email address, but I don’t know if that
address is still in use.

Anyway: I just went to http://www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~ooura/fft.html,
where this sentence has been removed.  The license notice now looks like
this:

    Copyright Takuya OOURA, 1996-2001

    You may use, copy, modify and distribute this code for any purpose
    (include commercial use) and without fee. Please refer to this
    package when you modify this code.

The notice in the readme.txt is unchanged, though.

>> +        ,(origin
>> +           (method url-fetch)
>> +           (uri "https://mirror.bazel.build/www.kurims.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~ooura/fft.tgz")
>
> Unversioned URL.  :-/

Yeah :(

The upstream URL is also unversioned, but it looks like development has
ceased in 2006.

--
Ricardo