Subject: [bug#31386] TensorFlow

From: Fis Trivial <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 17:52:10 +0000

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> This patch series adds a package for TensorFlow (without GPU support).
> I don’t know how useful this is because it just provides a single 180+MB
> statically linked archive (and header files).  It is only the “core”
> part of TensorFlow.
>
> The problem here is that the build system is Bazel, which cannot easily
> be built from source.  Bazel bundles 60+ third-party Java packages, some
> of which are very complex and are very difficult to package.  TensorFlow
> comes with an unsupported Makefile that builds a single statically
> linked library of only the core parts.  That’s what this package
> provides.
>
> Note that TensorFlow 1.8 has been released a few days ago.  This package
> only adds version 1.7.

That's still amazing.

I thought about packaging bazel and looked into the nix package[1]. The
package definition from nix isn't very long, but requires patches. I
dropped the matter since I'm not familiar with java.

[1]: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/tree/master/pkgs/development/tools/build-managers/bazel