Subject: bug#31372: closed (Re: bug#31372: 26.1; flyspell highlighting for all misspelled words vanishes after adding a word to dictionary)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 18:28:04 +0000

Your bug report

#31372: 26.1; flyspell highlighting for all misspelled words vanishes after adding a word to dictionary

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31372: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31372
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#31372: 26.1; flyspell highlighting for all misspelled words vanishes after adding a word to dictionary
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: emacs user <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 21:26:55 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: emacs user <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 10:58:33 +0300
> 
> Hello, I am encountering the problem described in
> 
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/30653/flyspells-highlight-cleared-after-a-save-word-action
> 
> to quote from there:
> 
> After running flyspell-buffer, all misspelled words are highlighted.
> However, after saving a word, all of the highlighting is gone. How can
> I avoid that?
> 
> this has been a problem for a while now for me, in different emacs versions.

When the personal dictionary is saved, ispell.el restarts Flyspell
mode, and that removes all the overlays used for highlighting.  This
code was a deliberate change to fix bug#11963, which see.  However,
since then, a better solution for the same scenario was already
installed, so this semi-kludgey fix is no longer needed.  I removed
that code now on the master branch, and that fixes this particular
bug.

Thanks.

Subject: 26.1; flyspell highlighting for all misspelled words vanishes after adding a word to dictionary
From: emacs user <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 10:58:33 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, I am encountering the problem described in

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/30653/flyspells-highlight-cleared-after-a-save-word-action

to quote from there:

After running flyspell-buffer, all misspelled words are highlighted.
However, after saving a word, all of the highlighting is gone. How can
I avoid that?

this has been a problem for a while now for me, in different emacs versions.

Configured using:
 'configure --with-mac --enable-mac-app=/Users/build/emacs-mac-build
--prefix=/Users/build/emacs-mac-build --with-gnutls=no'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS THREADS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  flyspell-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  recentf-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mac-mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny rfc822
mml mml-sec gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils noutline
outline epa-file epa epg dired-aux texmathp goto-addr flyspell
misearch multi-isearch jka-compr elec-pair cl-extra help-mode vc-git
diff-mode easy-mmode ruby-mode smie ffap thingatpt bbdb bbdb-site
timezone exec-path-from-shell cl auto-capitalize dired-efap finder-inf
tex-site info package epg-config url-handlers url-parse url-vars
em-unix em-term term disp-table ehelp em-script em-prompt em-ls
em-hist em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias
esh-var esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg esh-groups
eshell esh-module esh-mode esh-util ferret derived server dired-x
delsel rect ediff-merg ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-mult ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util ediff dired dired-loaddefs ispell ido seq
desktop frameset fortran cus-edit edmacro kmacro tramp-cache tramp-sh
saveplace recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu time image-file
cus-start cus-load tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring parse-time
format-spec advice auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv eieio-loaddefs cl-loaddefs
cl-lib password-cache mule-util time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/mac-win
mac-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue mac multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 416288 32394)
 (symbols 48 39650 2)
 (miscs 40 150 719)
 (strings 32 106372 8917)
 (string-bytes 1 3474231)
 (vectors 16 55188)
 (vector-slots 8 1038068 25784)
 (floats 8 128 252)
 (intervals 56 677 184)
 (buffers 992 17))