Subject: 26.1; Menu-bar stops working after search

From: Nick Helm <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 02:15:57 +1200

Emacs menu-bar does not work after a help search on macOS.

  Emacs -Q
  Click "Help" in the macOS menu-bar
  Enter any text in the help search field, e.g. "text"
  Move the mouse pointer to the right until the help menu disappears
  Move the mouse pointer back over "Help"

Note that the Help menu does not reappear and the mouse does not move
correctly (slows down) while moving over the word "Help". Subsequent
clicks on the menu-bar do not work as expected either. 

This can also cause frames not receive focus correctly – e.g. two frames
can simultaneously appear to have focus or all frames can be out of
focus while Emacs is the foreground app. The latter can give the
impression that Emacs has locked up, as no keystrokes reach the frame.

It's possible to avoid the problem by hiding the whole system-provided
help menu in nsterm.m, but this is obviously not a great solution.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin17.5.0, NS appkit-1561.40 Version 10.13.4 (Build 17E202))
 of 2018-04-28 built on jupiter.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
Recent messages:
Opening nnimap server on Office365...
Opening connection to localhost via shell...
Opening connection to localhost...done
Opening nnimap server on Office365...done
Opening nntp server on Gmane...done
1 new newsgroup has arrived
Checking new news...
Reading active file via nnnil...done
Reading active file via nndraft...done
Checking new news...done

Configured using:
 'configure --with-gnutls=no'

Configured features:
JPEG NOTIFY ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_NZ.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow gnus-cite sort mail-extr nnir emacsbug sendmail gnus-async
gnus-ml disp-table gnus-demon nndraft nnmh cl-extra help-mode utf-7
network-stream nsm auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs starttls nnfolder nnnil gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rmc puny seq
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit time dired-x easymenu dired
dired-loaddefs pcase savehist easy-mmode iso-transl edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs cl-lib gv plain-theme time-date tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win ns-win
ucs-normalize mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 292450 17785)
 (symbols 48 29375 1)
 (miscs 40 60 366)
 (strings 32 55165 2991)
 (string-bytes 1 1653924)
 (vectors 16 44144)
 (vector-slots 8 831856 12902)
 (floats 8 221 584)
 (intervals 56 272 60)
 (buffers 992 19))