Subject: bug#31366: Missing icons in virt-manager user-interface

From: Mike Gerwitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 21:01:15 -0400

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 18:24:37 -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 02:05:45PM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
>> Apparently, merely installing adwaita-icon-theme and hicolor-icon-theme
>> into the user's profile also works... not sure if this means it should
>> be added to propagated-inputs or users are just expected to install
>> relevent icon-theme packages themselves... ?
>
> Yeah, so far it's preferred that users install the icons themselves. I
> *thought* this was in the manual but it's not :)
>
> One advantage of asking users to install the icon themes is that it
> makes it easier to update the icon themes without having to rebuild many
> packages.

That explains why I had this issue in the past and it has since resolved
itself.

I'm sorry if this type of thing has been discussed before (I don't read
every message on the Guix lists), but what about some way of indicating
recommended packages as part of the package definition (a sort of soft
dependency).  Guix could then output to the user after installation that
certain package(s) ought to be installed for things to work optimally.

Guix could then be helpful to the user without expecting the user to
have read all relevant sections of the manual (I have only read portions
so far).  `guix package` maybe could also have a flag to automatically
install recommended packages into the user's profile.

There are strong design considerations here; this is an
oversimplification of the problem.

-- 
Mike Gerwitz