Subject: bug#31362: closed (GC stack overflow fixed)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 17:25:01 +0000

Your bug report

#31362: stack overflow in GC when creating large nested object

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31362: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31362
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: GC stack overflow fixed
From: Mattias Engdegård <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>, Pip Cet <[email-masked]>, Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 19:24:06 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Now that bug#54698 is resolved, we can close bug#31362 and bug#46900 which seem to have been about that, essentially.

If that didn't do it for you, please let us know.

Subject: 24.5; Crash after eval a form
From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 May 2018 16:51:56 +0900
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

X-Debbugs-CC: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>

emacs -Q
;; Emacs crash after evaluate the following form:
(let* ((lst (list 'x))
       (form (cons 'die
                   (list 'w '(pop lst)))))
  (while lst
    (setq form
          (cons 'die
                (cons form
                      (list '(pop lst))))))
  form)

;; Same behavior in Emacs 25, 26 and master.
;; The crash seems to happen because of the following assert (lisp.h:1468) fails:
INLINE ptrdiff_t
SCHARS (Lisp_Object string)
{
  ptrdiff_t nchars = XSTRING (string)->u.s.size;
  eassume (0 <= nchars);
  return nchars;
}

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
 of 2017-09-12 on hullmann, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-gnutls --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --without-gnutls --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs24-24.5+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -fno-PIE' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro -no-pie''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 71508 4550)
 (symbols 48 17556 0)
 (miscs 40 38 88)
 (strings 32 9162 4602)
 (string-bytes 1 250704)
 (vectors 16 8910)
 (vector-slots 8 383182 18774)
 (floats 8 63 238)
 (intervals 56 244 4)
 (buffers 960 12))