Subject: Re: bug#31353: ls unexpectedly quoting filenames

From: billy noah <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 07:16:10 -0400

Ok I stand corrected about no one liking it.  But I just read upwards of
100 comments on that linked SO question and I don't recall a single person
speaking up in favor of the new behaviour.  While you may have a point
about security issues, the new default should probably be a user selectable
option, not the default.  Have you conducted any kind of poll to determine
what the vast majority of users prefer?  Can you please illustrate a
scenario where non-quoted filenames would be a security issue?

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 2:01 AM, Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:

> billy noah wrote:
>
> No one seems to
>> like this new behaviour
>>
> I like the new behavior. The old behavior had security problems, since
> file names with unusual characters could confuse users into thinking that
> the file system was X when it really was Y.  The new behavior avoids these
> problems, and so is safer and more predictable.  You can resurrect the old
> behavior, if you like, by using a shell script called 'ls' that invokes
> /usr/bin/ls with the settings you prefer.  However, the default settings
> should be safe, not risky.
>