Subject: bug#31325: 27.0.50; PROPOSAL: introduce a new function to recenter without redisplaying the frame

From: John Shahid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 17:25:18 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 20:03:21 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>>
>> Alternatively, we could simply make 'recenter' behave specially in
>> interactive invocations.  But in any case, incompatible changes in
>> behavior are bad, and should be avoided.
>
> Or maybe invert the meaning of the new argument?

That isn't very ideal. The whole point from this change is not to force
lisp callers to change anything. If lisp callers have to change how they
call `recenter' they might as well change the call to be

   (let ((recenter-redisplay nil)) (recenter))

Few days ago I noticed the same flickering behavior in
`xref-find-definitions' because it uses `recenter' in the
`xref-after-jump-hook'.