Subject: Re: bug#31319: ghc-case-insensitive: Duplicate 'inputs' field.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 12:02:48 +0200

Ping!

I’d really like to apply the patch you posted in
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-04/msg00201.html>
along with the corresponding package fixes.

I can do that if you want.

Ludo’.

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Hello Mark,
>
> Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> It's true that it wouldn't change anything to simply remove those
>> ignored duplicate field initializers.  However, I thought it would be
>> better to give people familiar with these packages an opportunity to
>> investigate.  Someone may have had a good reason for adding those
>> inputs, even if they are not strictly needed for a successful build.
>>
>> Of course, at some point we should timeout on this.  I would advocate
>> commenting out the redundant duplicates instead of simply deleting them,
>> along with a FIXME comment asking someone to investigate.  We could also
>> look in the commit history to find out who added those redundant inputs,
>> and ask them directly.
>>
>> If you're impatient to get the duplicate field detection patch committed
>> soon, I could implement these "timeout" measures in the next couple of
>> days.
>
> I think we should go ahead now and mechanically fix packages with
> duplicate fields, and apply the duplicate detection patch.
>
> Would you like to do that?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.