Subject: bug#31311: 27.0; doc of `pcase'

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 10:22:49 +0200

() Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
() Sat, 26 May 2018 08:26:02 -0700 (PDT)

   >    The manual should refer to `cl-case', not `case'.

   I disagree.  My (unsolicited) 2 cents:

   [why ‘case’ over ‘cl-case’]

I agree, in the long term.  However, for the scope of this bug,
it's not a crucial problem to resolve.  If the fundamental
change you seek is to transition ‘case’ into Emacs Lisp "core"
(not requiring loading cl.el etc), that's something that we can
discuss in -devel and when it occurs, the docs can be updated
accordingly.

   [We even had the extreme position a few years ago that an
   eager-beaver mmaintainer forced names like `cl-caddr' on
   Emacs.  Fortunately, that craziness was eventually rescinded.

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg01394.html
   ]

Wow.

   On a related subject [naming of `pcase' et al].

This interesting topic is better discussed in -devel, i think.

   > In using ‘cl-case’ as one of the conceptual parents of
   > ‘pcase’,

   But it's not, really.  Maybe "parent" in the sense of design
   ancestor, but not "parent" in the sense of current derivation
   or resemblance.

Well, "design ancestor" is what i meant by "conceptual parent".
However, i did not dare use that because i myself did not design
‘pcase’.  I think "conceptual parent" accurately describes how
someone on the outside might look at things.  Pure projection on
the surface, yes, but a bit of empathy in the background, too.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave feedback.  With your help, i
think we are now at a good point to merge (and close the bug).

I have squashed the two following commits that pertained to
"Overhaul pcase documentation" into that one and left "Mention
pcase as a fifth conditional form" as the last one on branch
‘fix/bug-31311-pcase-doc-squash’.  I deleted and repushed that
branch; its HEAD commit is now 3a0c48aac9a.

I'd like to merge that branch into ‘emacs-26’ immediately.  Any
objections?

-- 
Thien-Thi Nguyen -----------------------------------------------
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2018) Software Libero
   (pcase (context query)               ;       = Dissenso Etico
     (`(technical ,ml) (correctp ml))
     ...))                              748E A0E8 1CB8 A748 9BFA
--------------------------------------- 6CE4 6703 2224 4C80 7502