Subject: bug#31305: 27.0.50; Symlinks recognized as dirs

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 10:16:32 -0700

On 05/18/2018 03:22 AM, David Caldwell wrote:
> $ src/emacs -Q -batch -eval '(message "%S" (file-name-completion "pass"
> "."))'
> "passwd"

Thanks for checking that it works on OS X 10.10.

> Since this doesn't seem to match your hypothesis, do you still want me
> to try it with the "/./" patch you sent?

I wouldn't bother. If the bug is fixed in OS X 10.10 and Apple itself 
doesn't support older systems, then we shouldn't need to worry about 
this bug upstream. I suggest building Emacs for OS X 10.10, recommending 
10.10 (or later) builds to users, and warning that there may be glitches 
if people use builds for older systems. To document this I installed the 
attached into the emacs-26 branch.

>From ad74c608988dc855f74e45ac2f2c2e5082019719 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 09:24:04 -0700
Subject: [PATCH] * etc/PROBLEMS: Document Bug#31305.

---
 etc/PROBLEMS | 9 +++++++++
 1 file changed, 9 insertions(+)

diff --git a/etc/PROBLEMS b/etc/PROBLEMS
index 1f7fe00bd6..09027332d8 100644
--- a/etc/PROBLEMS
+++ b/etc/PROBLEMS
@@ -3213,6 +3213,15 @@ them to DOS 8+3 limits.  To be useful on NT, the MSDOS port of Emacs
 must be unzipped by a DOS utility, so that long file names are
 properly truncated.
 
+** Apple Macintosh operating systems
+
+*** OS X 10.9 and earlier: symlinks autocomplete as directories
+
+Autocompleting the name of a symbolic link incorrectly appends "/".
+Building and running Emacs on OS X 10.10 (or later) fixes the problem.
+Older operating systems are no longer supported by Apple.
+https://bugs.gnu.org/31305
+
 ** Archaic window managers and toolkits
 
 *** Open Look: Under Open Look, the Emacs window disappears when you type M-q.
-- 
2.17.0