Subject: Re: bug#31305: 27.0.50; Symlinks recognized as dirs

From: David Caldwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 17:29:00 -0700

On 5/16/18 11:37 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> I guess that means either Paul’s fix doesn’t work on macOS 10.9, or
>> David needs to update something in his build tree.
> 
> 
> Possibly the Gnulib workaround for the macOS faccessat bug does not work
> in older macOS versions. For example, the Gnulib workaround calls the
> function 'access' on platforms lacking faccessat, and faccessat is
> missing and 'access ("foo/", F_OK)' ignores the trailing slash in older
> macOS versions, then that could explain the problem.
> 
> Suppose my guess is right. Then, if this problem occurs because the
> emacsformacosx.com build is for OS X 10.9 or earlier,

For the record, currently I build on 10.6, 10.8 and 10.9. I'm very very
close to killing the 10.6 build.

> then a simple fix
> is to have emacsformacosx.com build for OS X 10.10 or later,

This is very easy to do, I mostly haven't already because I didn't see
any compelling reason to build on later machines (I'm not aware of any
10.10-10.13 dependent features the same way that say full screen mode
only works in 10.9 and later).

> because
> Emacs can't reasonably support OS versions that Apple itself does not
> support <https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2018-03/msg00798.html>. On
> the other hand, if the problem occurs on OS X 10.10 or later, then
> someone should hack on the Gnulib workaround so as to port the
> workaround to OS X 10.10. I can volunteer to do the hacking in my spare
> time, but I don't have easy access to OS X 10.10 so someone else would
> need to test it.

I have a 10.10 VM and could probably test it. I can't promise I'll be
super available though.

-David