Subject: bug#31284: [PATCH 0/1] guix: Add git-fetch/impure.

From: "Thompson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 09:59:04 -0400

On Sun, Apr 29, 2018 at 1:28 PM, Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> You've both said that you would prefer not to add git-fetch/impure to
>> Guix.  Can you help me to understand why you feel that way?  I really
>> think it would be nice if Guix could fetch Git repositories over SSH
>> using public key authentication, so I'm hoping that we can talk about it
>> and figure out an acceptable way to implement it.
>
> I thought about it some more, and found that I cannot really justify my
> position on this, so I hereby drop my objection.  It's obviously not
> useful for packages that will be included in Guix itself, which is our
> primary focus, but I suppose it could be useful for private package
> definitions.
>
> What do you think, David?  It seems to me that password tokens in URLs
> raise possible security risks, whereas public-key authentication is
> generally better practice.

If I'm outvoted here then I'm OK with accepting this change. Just to
clarify, I advocate the use of password tokens in URLs for private
repositories only. I do this for non-Guix things as well in order to
improve reproducibility of internal builds.

- Dave