Subject: Re: bug#31284: [PATCH 0/1] guix: Add git-fetch/impure.

From: "Thompson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 09:05:37 -0400

Hi Chris,

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 4:12 AM, Chris Marusich <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Guix!
>
> Sometimes, a Git repository may only be available via an authenticated
> SSH connection.  Even in the case of repositories that only contain
> free software, this situation can arise for administrative or
> compliance-related reasons.  How can one define a package in such a
> situation?
>
> This patch adds a new origin method, git-fetch/impure, which solves
> that problem.  Specifically, git-fetch/impure creates a fixed-output
> derivation that fetches the Git repository outside of a derivation, in
> the environment of the invoking user.  In particular, this enables SSH
> to communicate with the user's SSH agent, which in turn allows Git to
> fetch the repository over an authenticated SSH connection.  In
> addition, because it is a fixed-output derivation, the output of a
> successful git-fetch/impure is guaranteed to be identical to the
> output of a pure git-fetch for any given commit.

In general I'm opposed to including such things in Guix. When I
encountered a similar situation at work I opted to use https cloning
with a password token in the url. Then there was no external state
(like an rsa key) needed.

I understand the motivation behind asking for something like this, but
I don't think Guix proper should include it.

- Dave