Subject: bug#31251: closed (read-from-minibuffer sets print-escape-newlines; why?)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 19:32:02 +0000

Your bug report

#31251: read-from-minibuffer sets print-escape-newlines; why?

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
31251: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31251
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: read-from-minibuffer sets print-escape-newlines; why?
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 12:31:51 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I removed the code lines in question and am closing bug#31251. See the 
thread containing:

https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2018-04/msg00654.html

Subject: read-from-minibuffer sets print-escape-newlines; why?
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 14:31:55 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

read-from-minibuffer and related functions set print-escape-newlines in 
the minibuffer, but there's no clear reason why: these functions do not 
call 'prin1' or 'print' directly, and setting print-escape-newlines 
affects behavior only in seemingly unrelated areas, such as code 
executed indirectly via activate-input-method or minibuffer-setup-hook. 
If there's no need to set print-escape-newlines then it shouldn't be 
set; if there is a need, the need should be documented. For now I'll add 
a FIXME comment about this to Emacs master.