Subject: Re: bug#31248: 27.0.50; Regression: Multibyte text in HTTP request

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 14:23:04 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> (length foo)
> => 30
> (string-bytes foo)
> => 34
> Fun!  :-)

The reason here is that when you put raw bytes into a multibyte string,
Emacs has to represent that somehow, and it represents that with an
internal coding that takes two bytes per byte.  If you get my drift.

So the moral here is: That function is really, really badly designed,
because it makes it easy (for people like me) to make these errors
really easily.  Once I merge the `with-url' branch (which reimplements
all the HTTP stuff) into master I hopefully won't ever have to look at
that function again.  :-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no