Subject: 25.3; New menus are empty with GTK3

From: Thomas Schneider <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 13:40:42 +0200

When changing to a mode that provides new menus (e. g. AUCTeX), new
menus appear in the menu bar (LaTeX and Command in this case), but they
appear empty.  This is only the case with GTK3; GTK2, Motif and terminal
do not show this behaviour.

In fact, it looks very much like bug#4122, just for GTK3 instead of
GTK2.  Launching Emacs with GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1 as suggested in
lp#415101 does not help.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.29)
 of 2018-04-20 built on coruscant
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11905000
System Description:	Gentoo Base System release 2.4.1

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-25.3-r4
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-25.3-r4/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-25 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-25
 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=:gamestat --without-compress-install --without-hesiod
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --with-dbus
 --without-modules --with-gpm --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5
 --with-xml2 --without-selinux --with-gnutls --without-wide-int
 --with-zlib --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --with-gsettings --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif --with-jpeg
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --without-imagemagick
 --with-xft --without-cairo --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xwidgets 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe
 -march=native' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_DK.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: notmuch-hello

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  linum-relative-global-mode: t
  linum-relative-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /home/qsx/RWTH/ProSem/auto/main.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/etc/auctex/style/cleveref.elc...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/etc/auctex/style/graphicx.elc...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/etc/auctex/style/hyperref.elc...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/etc/auctex/style/url.elc...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/etc/auctex/style/nameref.elc...done
Loading /home/qsx/RWTH/ProSem/auto/references.el (source)...done
Applying style hooks...done
Mark set
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(notmuch hl-line notmuch-message notmuch-hello wid-edit notmuch-tree
notmuch-show notmuch-print notmuch-crypto notmuch-mua notmuch-draft
notmuch-maildir-fcc notmuch-address notmuch-company notmuch-parser
notmuch-wash coolj notmuch-query goto-addr thingatpt icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs notmuch-tag notmuch-lib
notmuch-version notmuch-compat mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap
vc-git diff-mode tex-bar tex-buf toolbar-x noutline outline font-latex
latex tex-ispell tex-style tex-mode compile shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring latexenc pp shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug
sendmail gnus-alias message idna dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader edmacro kmacro tex dbus xml
crm linum-relative advice linum sanityinc-tomorrow-blue-theme
color-theme-sanityinc-tomorrow color server use-package cl bind-key
cl-macs easy-mmode finder-inf package epg-config seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib site-gentoo auto-loads tex-site time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 220924 12586)
 (symbols 48 30924 1)
 (miscs 40 410 390)
 (strings 32 48671 8307)
 (string-bytes 1 1396879)
 (vectors 16 22835)
 (vector-slots 8 564521 12167)
 (floats 8 412 147)
 (intervals 56 771 114)
 (buffers 976 24))