Subject: bug#31221: Cross compiling perl with guix pack fails

From: Raphaël Mélotte <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 22:58:49 +0200

Hello,

I'm trying to make a wireshark package for an old 32bit system where I
cannot install guix but it always fails with the same error. This is the
command I'm using:
guix pack -S /opt/gnu/bin=bin --target=i686-pc-linux-gnu wireshark

And this is the error I get:

starting phase `remove-extra-references'
Backtrace:
          13 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/304qy7gcwfsfsfxi9x98j5kw7i2…")
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   191:35 12 (_ _)
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
   863:16 11 (every1 #<procedure a40380 at /gnu/store/71d3rwa514j7v…> …)
In
/gnu/store/71d3rwa514j7vy5l4vfivf68g5yxibvl-module-import/guix/build/gnu-build-system.scm:
   711:27 10 (_ _)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
    619:8  9 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guile-user)…>) …) …) …) …) …))
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
    841:4  8 (with-throw-handler _ _ _)
In ice-9/ports.scm:
   444:17  7 (call-with-input-file _ _ #:binary _ #:encoding _ # _)
In
/gnu/store/71d3rwa514j7vy5l4vfivf68g5yxibvl-module-import/guix/build/utils.scm:
   610:26  6 (_ _)
   636:26  5 (_ #<input: /gnu/store/fvlb30v6gvm5k8hdmqz7c4g8vaaqvxr…> …)
In srfi/srfi-1.scm:
   466:18  4 (fold #<procedure 7ffff4385530 at /gnu/store/71d3rwa51…> …)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   202:51  3 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guile-user)…> …)) …) …) …) …))
    163:9  2 (_ #(#(#(#(#(#(#<directory (guile-user)…> …)) …) …) …) …))
In unknown file:
           1 (string-append "incpth='" #f "/include'\n")
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   752:25  0 (dispatch-exception _ _ _)

ice-9/boot-9.scm:752:25: In procedure dispatch-exception:
In procedure string-append: Wrong type (expecting string): #f
builder for `/gnu/store/szkpdjdxalwb793kkbfjibvhxki33x8l-perl-5.26.2.drv'
failed with exit code 1
guix pack: error: build failed: build of
`/gnu/store/szkpdjdxalwb793kkbfjibvhxki33x8l-perl-5.26.2.drv' failed

Since it seems related to perl, I tried running the same guix pack command
for perl only, and it fails with the same error.

I found a reference in the IRC logs about the same kind of error with
another package, but I can't tell if it's really related or not. I'll still
paste that reference here just in case:
https://gnunet.org/bot/log/guix/2015-07-14#T699278

Any clue on how I could debug that ?

Thanks