Subject: Re: [bug#31208] [PATCH 0/3] Add 'strip-runpath' in (guix build gremlin)

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sat, 05 May 2018 22:02:28 +0200

Hello Peter,

(I’m re-adding Cc, hope you don’t mind.)

Peter Mikkelsen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Since I am not really that much into meson, I am not sure my answer
> will be enough, but I will give it a go:
> The augment-rpath is needed because in some software projects such as
> nautilus, there is both a library and an executable.
> When building the software, the library is built first, and then the
> executable which depends on it, but then the runpath of the executable
> is 'fixed' so
> that libnautilus is no longer in the runpath of the nautilus binary.
> This is a problem since libnautilus is needed at runtime, so it is
> added using augment-rpath.

Oh, I see.

Back to this patch series, it means we still need ‘augment-rpath’.  :-/
I suppose we can still apply these patches to ‘core-updates-next’
though, it’s a step in the right direction.

> I think I remember something about the meson developers saying that it
> is no problem, since libnautilus will be installed in a standard
> location or something,
> but I really don't remember, sorry..

What Libtool does is that it “relinks” executables upon “make install”
so that they have the correct RUNPATH.

> Sorry for the not so good reply, but I hope it makes a little bit sense :)

It makes a lot of sense yes, thank you!

Ludo’.