Subject: bug#31203: 26.1; Fringe and toolbar bitmaps unscaled on Windows 10 HiDPI display

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 09:54:14 +0300

> From: Keith Russell <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 21:07:34 -0400
> 
> 
> Running on Windows 10 with a high resolution display (3840 x 2160)
> the fringe bitmaps and toolbar buttons are so tiny as to be almost
> indistinguishable from dots. Scrollbars and menus are fine and the
> fonts look stunning. If I set the compatibility option to "override
> application" and let the system scale then it's the right size but
> fuzzy. I couldn't find anything in the bug reports. The only
> thing I found in the Changelog was the change to make Emacs
> DPI aware on Windows but that was back in 2015.

The fringe bitmaps have fixed width specified in pixels.  I understand
you are saying that the number of pixels is correct, but its visual
appearance leaves a lot to be desired, is that right?  If so, you can
customize your fringes using this:

  (setq fringe-mode '(16 . 16))

(replace 16 with a number that is to your liking, I'm just guessing
there).

We could also apply the scaling automatically, patches welcome.