Subject: bug#31203: 26.1; Fringe and toolbar bitmaps unscaled on Windows 10 HiDPI display

From: Keith Russell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 21:07:34 -0400

Running on Windows 10 with a high resolution display (3840 x 2160)
the fringe bitmaps and toolbar buttons are so tiny as to be almost
indistinguishable from dots. Scrollbars and menus are fine and the
fonts look stunning. If I set the compatibility option to "override
application" and let the system scale then it's the right size but
fuzzy. I couldn't find anything in the bug reports. The only
thing I found in the Changelog was the change to make Emacs
DPI aware on Windows but that was back in 2015.

In GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
  of 2018-04-10 built on CIRROCUMULUS
Repository revision: c267421647510319d2a70554e42f0d1c394dba0a
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.16299
Recent messages:
; is undefined
Finding changes in ....
Commands: d, s, x, u; f, o, 1, 2, m, v; ~, %; q to quit; ? for help.
(Wraparound for next marked file)
dired-next-marked-file: No next marked file
M-ESC C-M-p is undefined
Mark saved where search started
Grep finished with 265 matches found
Parsing gtkutil.c (LL)...done
Parsing image.c (LL)...done

Configured using:
  'configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
  --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS THREADS LCMS2

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ENC
   locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: C/*l

Minor modes in effect:
   diff-auto-refine-mode: t
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   winner-mode: t
   smartparens-global-mode: t
   smartparens-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   savehist-mode: t
   counsel-mode: t
   ivy-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   global-semanticdb-minor-mode: t
   global-semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
   semantic-idle-scheduler-mode: t
   semantic-mode: t
   which-function-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t
   abbrev-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail noutline outline bug-reference
base16-tomorrow-theme smerge-mode log-view pcvs-util vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc-dir ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher image-mode semantic/tag-file add-log semantic/imenu
semantic/db-file data-debug cedet-files semantic/bovine/c
semantic/decorate/include semantic/decorate/mode semantic/decorate pulse
hideif semantic/bovine/c-by semantic/lex-spp semantic/bovine/gcc
semantic/dep semantic/bovine semantic/analyze/refs semantic/db-find
semantic/db-ref semantic/analyze semantic/sort semantic/scope
semantic/analyze/fcn cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs find-dired grep rect map
rng-xsd xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri
rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns
nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap sgml-mode dom nxml-util nxml-enc xmltok
base16-default-dark-theme shell pcomplete dired-aux
base16-default-light-theme bookmark base16-theme pcase autoload
radix-tree lisp-mnt tar-mode pp misearch multi-isearch mm-archive
message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-utils network-stream starttls url-http tls gnutls
mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw
nsm rmc puny url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap colir
color cl-extra elec-pair init server edmacro kmacro windmove winner
leuven-theme avoid smartparens advice help-mode dash recentf tree-widget
savehist counsel dired-x dired dired-loaddefs compile comint ansi-color
esh-util etags xref project ring swiper ivy delsel ivy-overlay ffap
thingatpt cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit paren semantic/db-mode
semantic/db eieio-base semantic/idle semantic/format ezimage
semantic/tag-ls semantic/find semantic/ctxt semantic/util-modes
semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw mode-local
find-func cedet which-func imenu finder-inf info package easymenu
epg-config url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace
newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 lcms2
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 869465 128119)
  (symbols 56 40727 8)
  (miscs 48 2195 147)
  (strings 32 133216 18250)
  (string-bytes 1 3540680)
  (vectors 16 54735)
  (vector-slots 8 1628041 79130)
  (floats 8 307 957)
  (intervals 56 80265 1349)
  (buffers 992 40))