Subject: Re: bug#31196: 27.0.50; shr sometimes doesn't break lines as it should

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2018 20:32:57 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> The metric is indeed easily available: that's what window-body-width
> returns.  But how can it know what will you do with the metric?  The
> fact that you want to account for one or two fringes etc. is something
> specific to the application, no?

Well, I think the common use case when you're asking how wide a window
is is that you're going to put something in that window and you want to
scale it to that window somehow.  Since the fringes aren't part of that
area, it's weird that you have to dig deeply into those obscure matters
to find the area, I think.

Perhaps `window-body-width' should have a parameter that makes it return
what you'd thing it should return?  (By "you" I mean "I", of course.)

>> And it seems to be 1 pixel wrong.  :-)
>
> Is it wrong, or are you counting pixels as in 0, 1, ... N, assuming
> that the Nth pixel is still in the window?

It's possible that there's an off-by-one error somewhere.

I'll just fix this by putting a -1 into the form and leave it be.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no