Subject: Re: bug#31194: 26.1; `display-buffer-in-major-side-window' was renamed without an alias.

From: Phil Sainty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 11:39:54 +1200

On 2018-04-18 03:51, Glenn Morris wrote:
>> I have at least one library installed (which-key.el) which triggers an
>> error on this account.
> 
> Sounds like you need to update; ref https://debbugs.gnu.org/24828#19 .

Apologies, I should have found that myself.  That's certainly a 
different
situation to what I had thought.

FWIW I've confirmed that the old name doesn't crop up elsewhere in my
own config.

I think that cases like this need to have NEWS entries under the
"Incompatible Lisp Changes" section?  This was a function name which
was not obviously internal (no double-hyphen), so one does tend to
expect it to be documented if it no longer works (and the Changelog
entry is not addressing this aspect).

If the NEWS file mentioned the change and stated plainly that any
libraries using the old name need to be updated, I think it would
assist people who will run into this the way I did.

-Phil