Subject: bug#31167: 27.0.50; When the computer has no network connection, Emacs can take minutes to start

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:50:33 +0200

Paul Eggert <[email-masked]> writes:

>
>> I remember running into this a couple of weeks ago on a Debian
>> jessie system, and the Emacs there is...  let's see...  25.1.1.  That's
>> after 2014
>
> Yes, the problem that I fixed in 2014 should not be present in Emacs
> 25.1. Of course there could be some other problem with similar
> symptoms.

I was mistaken -- the system in question has Emacs 24.4.1 installed.
Does that version include your fix?

> I can't reproduce the symptoms, though. I tried running Emacs master
> on Fedora 27 with networking disabled (using Gnome's "Wired Connected
>  > Turn Off" UI), and Emacs started up fine.

In those cases (where the system knows that it has lost the network
connection), then Emacs starts up fast.  The problem is if the network
is up, but non-functional.

I've tried to reproduce it on a wired machine now just by pulling the
plug, but that didn't work, either.  Hm...  

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no