Subject: bug#31167: 27.0.50; When the computer has no network connection, Emacs can take minutes to start

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 16:19:48 -0400

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think the way to reproduce this error is to have the network
> configured, but not actually working.  I suspect that Emacs is doing
> some DNS stuff at startup that it shouldn't be doing.

> Hm.  Or has this finally been fixed, after all these years?  I'm unable
> to reproduce it now on my laptop, but perhaps I'm confing the network
> "wrong" in the wrong way...

It sounds like this entry in etc/PROBLEMS

    *** Emacs startup on GNU/Linux systems (and possibly other systems) is slow.

    This can happen if the system is misconfigured and Emacs can't get the
    full qualified domain name, FQDN.  You should have your FQDN in the
    /etc/hosts file, something like this:

    127.0.0.1	localhost
    129.187.137.82	nuc04.t30.physik.tu-muenchen.de	nuc04

    The way to set this up may vary on non-GNU systems.

According to this message from 2014 [1] it was resolved, and the
etc/PROBLEMS entry was removed.  But the entry is still there in current
master.

[1]: https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-12/msg02313.html