Subject: Re: bug#31150: Entries in load-path should not have trailing slashes

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 00:06:57 +0200

Radon Rosborough <[email-masked]> writes:

>> For crying out loud, one does not have to look in the "sources of
>> this" package or use "Google" searches. The package has
>> documentation.
>
> Most people use search engines to find documentation these days.

But it takes an extraordinary amount of chutzpah to blame the package
authors when the results are crap.  Basically you think the package
authors too stupid to create useful documentation and instead ask the
next person on the street.  And then you blame the package author for
not talking to enough persons on the street to render this hearsay
useful.

> That's not a value judgement; it's just a statement of fact.
>
>> The documentation is available in the usual places (Info)
>
> Info is not as standard as you make it out to be.

Info is the standard information format for Elisp packages.  And
complaining about lack of documentation and bug reporting instructions
when both are in the package's top level menu structure also is not
exactly a sign that the package authors are to blame.

> That is true, but the vast majority of packages do not contain any
> such menu entries. Furthermore, many users do not use the Emacs menus.

Users who don't use the menus and don't read the delivered documentation
then complain that the package authors should do more search engine
optimization.

Sorry, go and cry to Google that their algorithms are too stupid to pick
up the standard documentation of packages then.

-- 
David Kastrup